Monday, May 19, 2014

me we trees - family tree and newborn personalised artwork's

When my daughter was born, I wanted to make and create unique things for her and to decorate her bedroom with. That’s when my first tree was conceived and created. I have fond memories growing up when my mum used to take me to the park and we had our own special tree where we would always have our picnic. For me, trees represent magic, new beginnings and memories, each one is special in it’s own way. So I’ve combined my love of sewing, even though it’s not in the traditional sense, with my love of paper and together it creates an original and personal artwork. They can be given as a keepsake to preserve and share family history, for a birth or even positive thoughts and inspirational quotes.

I started giving my artworks to friends and family as gifts and then they wanted to buy them to give as gifts.

So much work goes into each artwork, I hand cut the trunk out of kraft paper, occasionally I might use paper from vintage maps or posters which I then stitch down on canvas with the sewing machine to create the lines of the bark. The leaves are hand cut from remnant papers that I have collected over the years from old books, beautiful envelopes or I buy handmade papers. I really love the Japanese papers, as they are so beautiful. I’ve been lucky enough to have a friend of mine visit India and bring me back a selection of handmade paper. I love going to second hand shops looking for those special papers and old maps. I’m always on look out for unique papers, I have even cut up my last years Frankie diary, as I loved the designs that were used and were just the right colour. Even though my artworks are of trees each one is different and unique. I am able to use the same colour scheme as one I have created before but they will never be exact or a duplicate.

I used to showcase my artworks at Eveleigh Artisans Market at the Carriage Works on the first Sunday of every month, which made it easy for customers to come and see my work and be able to make a selection. Unfortunately, the markets are no longer. So I’ve had to rethink how I am able to showcase my work. I am very lucky to have met Nicola from Concrete and Honey at the ABCD social meet-ups and have been following her on instagram. I love her feed as the images are so beautifully styled and so pretty. I asked if she could style and photograph my trees and you can see for yourself that she did a amazing job showing how special the trees can look in a baby’s nursery.

If you are interested in ordering a tree, I am able to email you a selection to choose from or if you have a particular colour scheme in mind I can customise to those specific colours. If you would like me to personalise your tree I am able to fit up to 12 names comfortably with the family name at the top. Artworks for newborns, you will need to supply the name, date, time, weight and length.

It is my greatest hope that you will find the same joy I feel when I create my original pieces to either keep for yourself or give as a gift. Here are some lovely testimonies from a few of my very happy customers.

Thank you for rushing my order through, the tree was gorgeous, they loved it, my girlfriend told me it was the best wedding present they got.:)  |  Linda G


WOW!!!!! It looks beautiful. Thanks so much Michelle :)))
I absolutely love it xx  | Vicky C

My friend had you make a beautiful family tree when our daughter Charlotte was born. We get so many compliments on it, so thank you. | Sarah M

I was so thrilled to find the perfect birthday gift for my sister. You are very talented! I also really appreciate the excellent service you have provided by sending it out to me so promptly and for free and giving me the frame details. It is very rare these days to get such great service. Thanks once again.  |  Susan L








All photos taken by Nicola - Concrete & Honey Styling & Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment